Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry

Rustic Tribal Primitive

Monday, August 11, 2014

Rustic Roman Glass Jewelry


Much of the Roman glass available today in the form of beads, pendants and connectors, was excavated in the early 2000's in Afghanistan along the "silk road" trading route. The estimated age of this glass is 900 to 1200 years old. It has a characteristic scaling of white and has an etched appearance, perhaps from exposure to wind and sand over many years. I find the blue, green and yellow colors and the primitive look of Roman glass very appealing and I love to use it in designing jewelry.

In this pair of earrings, I have combined the aqua colored Roman glass tubes with nuggets of matte green fluorite stones and discs of Czech glass. Love the combination of these colors together!

I am finding Roman glass to be very versatile. There is really no limit to the creative combinations that will show off this beautifully rustic glass, and it blends extremely well with my primitive Bohemian style.

Atop a body of hammered copper, I have added two layers of leather, and then the pale aqua discs of Roman glass. Wrapping light weight oxidized copper wire with seed beads around the layers holds them in place and protects the fragile glass.

Roman glass jewelry has proven to be in high demand. These pieces do not stay long in my Etsy Shop! This particular necklace is already sold, but if you have an interest in Roman glass jewelry, I would love to design a piece especially for you. Just convo me on Etsy.

Chrysalis Too on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment