Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry

Rustic Tribal Primitive

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Untamed Clay


It was inevitable. Polymer clay was calling to me, saying "Come . . . knead me with your fingers. Mold me into something wild.". So I listened. Whether it turns out to be a passing fancy or a direction for which I was destined, I am having so much fun making distressed and ancient looking beads and components.


When I can't find the right component for my design, it is so liberating to be able to sit down at my metal working bench or my clay table and make what I need.


Letting my imagination run wild, I can hardly keep up with all my new ideas. Just drawing and writing little notes, so I won't forget before I have the time to try them.


I try to use the clay color as just a base, and then after it's baked, coat it with layers of gilder's paste until I get the look I want. The colors are sealed with a matte fixative.


No plans at present for selling clay components, I just like having the freedom to make something outrageous for my own use.

15 comments:

  1. Oh sure, you're not going to sell them. You're a tease!!! Seriously, these are wonderful. You have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keirsten! I have been considering opening another Etsy shop later in the year to sell destash and possibly clay components if there is enough interest.

      Delete
  2. They are gorgeous Gloria, puts my PC stuff to shame!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, I love your clay components! I wanted to see how wild and crazy I could get with this stuff, and I'm having a great time playing with it.

      Delete
  3. normally I'm not into polymer, but these are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean. I'm still hanging onto my first pieces too and it is a great feeling of play for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm...yes, please! Sell them! I love your experimentations and the delicate color palettes. Polymer clay is so much fun to explore! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started with PC, too. You *think* you are not going to sell it, but pretty soon you'll have than you can use yourself and then the inevitable happens... ;) Your pieces rock, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to wait awhile to see if I could consistently make things that buyers would find interesting. But circumstances are forcing me to speed up my timetable. I will open another Etsy shop for components, maybe some specialty things and destash.

      Delete
  7. I love what you're doing with the polymer! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria, your components are gorgeous! The intricate designs and the colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, ladies, for the encouragement! I will keep you posted on my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gloria, I really love your components !!! Few years ago I was working with polymer clay and it was a real creativity for me ;-) The idea of a new shop shop for destash and clay components ! Enjoy your time !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Gloria! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete